Keeping you moving throughout construction
Construction crews will shift traffic in stages to build the project. Each traffic shift will last for several months while crews remove existing infrastructure and build new features. Three travel lanes on both directions of I-5 will be maintained, and bike and pedestrian detours will be clearly marked. The first traffic stage is shown below and is subject to change:
Stage 1: summer 2023 – spring 2024
- Shift the northbound on- and off-ramps at exit 119 to temporary pavement.
- Shift northbound I-5 lanes to accommodate the construction zone and begin construction on the new I-5 bridge over Pendleton Avenue.
- Begin building the roundabout and roadway to the new bridge over I-5.
Shifting travel lanes into temporary configurations gives construction crews the room they need to widen I-5 and extend the existing HOV lanes and build a new Steilacoom-DuPont Road interchange. It will also prepare the area for the construction of the I-5 bridge over Pendleton Avenue and the road connecting the future roundabout and reconstructed I-5 interchange.
As construction progresses, this online open house will be updated to provide more information about upcoming changes in the area including:
- Project milestones such as setting girders on new bridges.
- New roundabout opening in fall 2025, subject to change.
- Removal of the old overpass in early 2026, subject to change.
- Opening of extended HOV lanes.
Please help keep road workers safe. When approaching a work zone, remember to:
- Slow down – drive the posted speeds, they are there for your safety.
- Be kind – our workers are out there helping to keep you safe and improve the roadways.
- Pay attention – both to workers directing you and surrounding traffic; put your phone down when behind the wheel.
- Stay calm – expect delays, leave early; no meeting or appointment is worth risking someone’s life.