WSDOT Safety Rest Areas by the numbers
- 24 million users annually
- 47 locations statewide*
- 16 RV dump stations
- 532 commercial truck parking spaces**
* 3 locations are seasonal. The busiest rest areas undergo short temporary closures throughout the year to accommodate maintenance that cannot be completed when open to the public. Closures are rotated to minimize impacts to travelers.
**Most spaces are shared truck/RV based on the Safety Rest Area
Aging facilities, increased needs
WSDOT’s rest area facilities are aging and in need of significant repair and improvements. These sites also include heavily utilized and expensive to maintain critical infrastructures such as plumbing, potable water, sewage systems, and pavement.
- More than 50 percent of Safety Rest Areas rated as “poor condition” in 2021 due to years of insufficient funding to keep them in good repair.
- More than half of rest area buildings will be 50 years or older by 2031.
- As facilities get closer to the 50-year mark, there is an urgent need for either considerable rehabilitation investment or closure of lesser-used facilities.