SR 520 – I-5 Express Lanes Connection Project
The next phase of SR 520 construction begins this summer and will last approximately 3 years. This project extends SR 520’s transit/HOV system onto the I-5 express lanes, creating a direct bus and carpool connection between the Eastside and South Lake Union in Seattle. Visit the project website for more information.
- A new, reversible transit/HOV ramp between SR 520 and the I-5 express lanes
- Modified I-5 express lanes that retain the four existing lanes while adding a reversible transit/HOV lane between the I-5/SR 520 interchange and Mercer Street
- A reversible ramp between the I-5 express lanes and Mercer Street
Montlake Bridge preservation
WSDOT will close the bridge across the Montlake Cut to replace the metal grid deck and mechanical parts that raise and lower the bridge. The work will happen in two phases, beginning with a month-long closure in August. While the bridge is closed, crews will work on other areas along Montlake Boulevard to reduce the number of traffic disruptions. Visit the project website for more information.
Phase 1 (Aug. 9 – Sept. 3)
- Up to 26 days, around-the-clock
- Closed to vehicle traffic, sidewalks open
- Grid deck and expansion joint replacement
Phase 2 (Weekends, beginning in September)
- Up to five weekends
- Closed to vehicle traffic, sidewalks closed
- Mechanical work